Your Morning Matcha for July 22, 2020.
In today’s newsletter: Interviews with ecommerce experts, blog of the week, BigCommerce goes public, Google’s video shopping platform, and more.
Get the weekly Morning Matcha by subscribing here.
CAREFUL: CONTENTS ARE HOT!
[Virtual Summit] DTC vs. Amazon: Interviews with Ecommerce Experts
On August 4th, Matcha will be hosting its first virtual summit 14 experts in ecommerce. Free registration is now open!
Join brands and business leaders in the ecommerce industry as they share how, in a world where Amazon is dominant, online businesses can build, engage, and converted an owned audience.
You can check out the full line up of speakers here!
WE LIKE IT A LATTE
Ecommerce Blog of the Week
Get inspired by this week’s ecommerce blog of the week! Ready to start writing your own inspiring content? Sign up for the Blog Creator free trial!
Blog Post of the Week: ARTISTS YOU NEED TO LISTEN TO… NOW!
Ecommerce Brand: Spirithoods
TL;DR: As stated on their About page, “Spirithoods is a brand dedicated to the celebration of life.” This blog post briefly summarizes the proven physical and spiritual benefits of great music before diving into a curated collection of artists their audience is bound to love. The piece ends with a Spotify playlist for readers to immediately enjoy.
Why we love it: The brand to customer connection it creates, as well as its interactive nature.
The blog only briefly mentions their product line (“Grab your favorite SpiritHood and get ready to groove!”) and instead focuses on providing value to their reader in a way that authentically shares the spirit of their brand.
In E-commerce News This Week:
- Last Tuesday, BigCommerce filed to go public with a $100M IPO under name “BIGC.” The company’s revenues in Q1 2020 showed 30% YoY growth, but still currently just around 5% the size of Shopify.
- Walmart invested an additional $1.2B in financing to Flipkart, an Indian e-commerce giant.
- July 16th was the 25th Anniversary of the launch of Amazon’s bookstore. On July 16, 1995 Amazon entered the world as an online bookstore, and now the company is worth over $1.5 Trillion.
- Google is piloting a video shopping platform, Shoploop. Read the official announcement here.
Which state has the most Amazon SMB sellers per capita?
(Scroll to the bottom for the answer!)
WHAT WE’RE SIPPING
Ecommerce Predictions Post-COVID19
COVID-19 has rocked every industry in our world, but one industry that has seemingly come out overall ahead is ecommerce.
With shopping in traditional retail stores down due to lock-down restrictions, shorter hours, or simply consumer anxiety, consumers have flocked to online retailers en masse.
This article breaks down the potentially permanent changes that will stick in the world of ecommerce once COVID-19 has finally subsided. Read on to learn about: how small businesses will change operations, the most competitive new verticals, marketing practices for our new normal, and more.
Our top e-commerce reads this week!
Learn something new this week with our curated top reads.
- How to Create a Buyer Persona (Includes Free Persona Template)
- 64 Things to Check While Creating Content [Twitter Mega-Thread]
- How to Assign the Right Jobs to Your Content & Stop Overworking your Shopify Blog
ECOMMERCE TRIVIA ANSWER
Iowa, with nearly 10,000 SMBs selling on Amazon, has the most Amazon SMBs per capita of all 50 U.S. states according to a recent report. Iowa also saw 57% YoY growth by Amazon’s digital entrepreneurs this year.