The results are in!
After months of digging through the data, we’re excited to announce the release of Matcha’s 2019 Content Marketing Benchmark Report for Small Businesses.
If you’re a small e-commerce brand looking to supercharge your content marketing, this report will help you do it.
Why is this content marketing report different?
Most content marketing reports use self-reported survey data to answer questions about industry trends. How much are marketers spending? How confident are they in the results? That sort of thing.
They also consider companies of all sizes.
Our report is the first of its kind because it uses real performance data, directly from small businesses like yours, to gather insights you can take action on.
What’s in the report?
The report is chock-full of insights about how to produce and distribute content that:
- Improves reader time
- Drives more traffic for less ad spend
- Increases lead generation by 10x
(Spoiler: Listicles aren’t dead yet!)
You’ll also find benchmarks for common marketing KPIs, so you can see how your content marketing stacks up against other small e-commerce brands.
Want a sneak peek at what we uncovered? Key insights include:
- Readers continue to love listicle-type articles. Listicles score well in reader engagement and promotional efficiency. In an analysis of the best-performing content, listicles represent the best engagement rates, scroll depth, and cost-per-click (CPC) and click-through rate (CTR) on Facebook ads.
- Top-performing long-form articles are easy to read. Long-form articles with the best reader engagement had an average of 5.7 images and 4.5 subheadlines, keeping readers’ attention by breaking the text into smaller, consumable blocks.
- Facebook ads promoting content drastically outperform average CTRs and CPCs. Facebook ads featuring content achieved an astonishing $0.19 CPC—89% less expensive than the average Facebook CPC of $1.72. At 2.1%, CTRs on content ads are more than double the industry average of 0.9%.
- Licensed content performs as well as original content. Licensed content showed engagement rates comparable to original content. Licensed content allows small teams to publish high-quality articles at a fraction of the cost and time.
Where’d the data come from?
The short answer: from small e-commerce businesses like yours.
The long answer: Every month, small e-commerce brands use the Matcha platform to publish thousands of original blog posts and licensed articles right to their websites.
Matcha’s robust analytics dashboard is always working in the background, gathering data about how readers find and interact with our customers’ content.
This data ranges from likes and clicks on a Facebook ad to the number of leads an article generates to the amount of time a reader spends consuming a blog post.
For this report, we aggregated the data from all of 2018.
That’s 10,000 articles published, 5,000 Facebook ads managed, and 9,000,000 readers reached.
Get the report
A high-performance content marketing strategy has become table stakes for growing a business online.
Matcha’s 2019 Content Marketing Benchmark Report for Small Business is the shortcut to creating a strategy that supercharges traffic, lead, and sales generation.
Feature image provided by rawpixel